[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 235, Issue 42

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Apr 7 07:20:00 UTC 2023

On 06/04/2023 22:54, Darin Sunley wrote:
> The first chapter of Greg Egan's "Disapora" describes the procedural
> generation of a human-like AGI via a process of cellular-automata-type
> "Shapers" like this very poetically.

Yes, exactly.

This isn't an upload, though, of course. At best, starting with your own
DNA, it would be a 'digital sibling'. And I'd expect we wouldn't be
starting with anyone's DNA, but rather a distillation of everyone's,
with variations thrown in, as in the story.

Interesting, and potentially useful, but naturally it won't achieve the
aim of uploading.

Ben