[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Apr 7 07:41:04 UTC 2023

On 07/04/2023 00:00, billw  wrote:
> man DNA is less than a gigabyte of information, which is surprisingly
> simple, simpler even than modern video games which often are 60+
> gigabytes in size.
>
> Now you are telling me that a video game is as complex as a person.
> Can't be.  The combination of genes is for practical purposes
> infinite.   bill w

You are correct, but making the wrong comparison. A videogame is more
complex than the instuctions for starting a person off (Creating an
embryo. Actually, not even that), which is a vastly different thing to
an actual person. Just like the Game of Life, etc., the initial
instructions plus environmental input plus time, with many feedback
loops, results in something vastly more complex than the instructions
themselves. And vastly more complex than any videogame.

Another thing that's easily overlooked is the pre-existing (huge!) set
of metabolic reactions and reagents that this process takes place in and
relies on. When an egg is fertilised, it's really a new set of
instructions coming in to a massive biochemical factory that was there
all along. It's not just about genetics. These estimates of the
information required to make a human always seem to ignore that. If you
factor that in, we simply don't know how much information is needed,
because we only understand a fraction of our biochemistry.

Maybe it can be estimated, though, from the average number of molecules
in an egg cell, and the concent... Hmm, I'm not the right person to
tackle that kind of thing.

Ben