[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 07:00:00 UTC 2023

On Fri, Apr 7, 2023 at 10:42 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

back around the mid 90s, the chess players tripped over a similar question,
> as the software was getting so good at our favorite game.  There were those
> who argued the software wasn’t really playing chess in the sense we
> understood it, but was only trying a bunch of possible moves and
> calculating.  They thought merely calculating wasn’t really playing chess
> as we understood it.

In 1999, I led a team of computer chess enthusiasts in a global effort to
beat Kasparov. The game was one move per day online at MSN. Moves were
decided by vote. I had about 12 guys on my team from all over the world,
each of us running his own favorite chess software. I was running Fritz.
Each night, in email, I would assign a possible line to each member of the
team to analyze overnight, then in the AM we would look at all the
evaluations and decide which move to recommend to the world team.  The
world lost, but those were some of the most fun and intense four months of
my life.

You can see my name mentioned here in the 4th paragraph.

Kasparov versus the World
https://www.chess.com/blog/ThummimS/kasparov-versus-the-world

-gts