[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 21:18:16 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 2:57 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> Do we agree then that your doorbell system has some trivial degree of
> awareness?

Here's the rub: if my smart doorbell has awareness and if awareness is what
defines consciousness, then how about my automobile?  It seems aware of my
turning the key in the ignition and starts as if by magic.  Where does it
end? If there is no end then you are talking about panpsychism in which
everything in the world is aware and conscious. That's fine, but in such a
world, what do you call that thing that a boxer loses when he is knocked
unconscious? That is what I mean by consciousness.

-gts