[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 8 22:53:37 UTC 2023

Hi Jason,

Let me define things this way:

    1. Intelligent system:  Anything that can represent and compute with
information.
    2. Consciousness:  Any intelligent system that represents and computes
with information directly on qualities.
    3. Computer or Abstract intelligence:  Any system that represents its
knowledge in a way that is abstracted away from whatever quality or
property is representing it.

Notice that with this, there is no such thing as "abstract consciousness"
(you asked me to define this) because that is like saying things that are
different, are the same.

That's a brilliant idea to come up with a picture like you are describing.
Dalle-2 can't seem to take a description this long, so I'm sending this off
to my video editor.

"Create a black and white picture of 3 people all looking at the same black
and white strawberry.

Have their heads transparent, so you can see a colored strawberry inside
their heads, representing what they see.

One person has a red strawberry inside its head.

The second person is looking through a set of glasses that swaps redness
for greenness, so the strawberry in his head is green.

The third person looks more like a robot.  Instead of a colored strawberry
inside its head, there is just the word ‘red’.

There are text bubbles coming from all of them all saying the same: 'The
strawberry is red.'

And yes, I added "physical" quality because I am in the camp that
predicts redness
is just a physical quality
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/7-Qualia-are-Physical-Qualities>.
Most of the time I leave the "physical" off, for precisely this reason, so
I apologize for giving into the temptation in this case.  From now on, I'll
try to only sasy quality.

And notice that Darin is being the perfect straight man in this case saying:

        *"I think I'm prepared to bite the bullet on qualia being
immaterial and aphysical."*

Yes, functionalists and substance dualists all seperate qualia from
physical reality like this.
But even if qualia are some quality of some neither world stuff, separate
from physical reality, or whatever.....

He also said:

        *"there are almost certainly facts of the matter that govern their
behavior,"*

And the causality needs to go in the other direction, they need to cause us
to say:  "That 'spiritual' experience of mine is redness."

And if that is the case, why would whatever that objectively observable and
engineerable stuff is, why would it not be included in all that is
"physical"?

Don't you guys see you are the ones as crazy as the religious nutcases
saying qualia proves their crazy religious beliefs?

They are just color qualities, and something in the world has, and behaves
the way it does, because of those color qualities.

On Sat, Apr 8, 2023 at 3:47 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <