[ExI] chatgpt plus google translate

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sun Apr 9 15:58:03 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
Sent: Sunday, 9 April, 2023 8:45 AM
To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
Cc: BillK <pharos at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [ExI] chatgpt plus google translate

On Sun, 9 Apr 2023 at 16:29, spike jones via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org> wrote:

> Hey cool, idea: we can use Google to translate from any common language into English, use ChatGPT, then Google translate its response back...
> Giovanni, funzionerebbe, giovanotto?
>
> spike

>...ChatGPT does translations sort of OK.
But GPT-4 is better.

<https://arxiv.org/abs/2301.08745>
Quote:
[Submitted on 20 Jan 2023 (v1), last revised 19 Mar 2023 (this version, v3)] Is ChatGPT A Good Translator? Yes With GPT-4 As The Engine

BillK

Ja, I was hoping to intentionally keep ChatGPT out of the loop for the translate portion of the experiment.  I don't want ChatGPT to know it is part of an experiment.

BillK, I was thinking of having you as one of the test cases.  I went into Google translate but couldn't find any English to British translation options.