[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 21:40:01 UTC 2023

Of course, a single pixel which can change from redness to greenness can't
be at the brain module level or higher, as we have thousands of voxel
element qualities in our visual knowledge.

The Quantum people
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/20-Orch-OR>
predict redness and such is below the Atomic level.  Not really sure how
far below they are predicting it'd be, we could ask them.  I just think you
don't need to go down to that level, to reproduce a pixel of redness
experience, in a way that you can change that one pixel to greenness.  It
could certainly be at the "Molecular Biology" level, or the "Protein Level".
And I'd predict that the computational binding of whatever has a redness
quality, to all the other voxels of qualities, is  somewhere arround
the "Intracellular
Level".  But yea, any and all possible levels are viable.  Even new physics
is a possibility, but I doubt that.

To me, the more important thing is just that there is something, at some
level.  And our description of however it behaves, is a description of
redness.  Or it behaves the way it does, because of its redness quality
which can can subjectively directly apprehend as a pixel of visual
knowledge.  I pretty much selected glutamate because it is easy to say
things like: "If someone experiences redness, when there is no glutamate
present, it falsified the glutamate=redness theory.  So you move on to
something else, at any other level, till you can objectively observe
whatever is responsible for a pixel of redness experience.  Then you will
have the required dictionary to not only know if something is conscious,
but know what it is like.  The fact that making these kinds of predictions
about what consciousness is like is the big deal.  You must be able to
demonstrate and falsify the predictions, in a way the bridges the
"explanatory gap" and enables one to "eff the ineffable" and so on.

We live in a colorful world.  It'd be nice to know what it is, in that
brain, whatever level it is, which has all those colorness qualities.  I
want to know more than just what color things in the world seem to be.

Jason, have you, or anyone else, seen our Consciousness: Not a Hard
Problem, Just a Color Problem
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness> videos?
I'd be interested in your thoughts.

On Sun, Apr 9, 2023 at 8:24 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <