[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 9 22:49:28 UTC 2023

Let me elaborate on a point. When I say the pattern matters it doesn't mean
that a particular pattern matters. This is very relevant to dismantle
Brent's position. I can use any pattern I want to represent red. In fact,
let me expand on my previous statement: what matters is the pattern AND the
association with a given visual stimuli (in the case of red) or a given
thought or memory or whatever. If I associate this pattern with seeing red
(probably a given number of times) then that is red in my brain. Given we
have similar makeup and there is a lot of software we inherit from our
progenitors the association process (basically we come with a lot of NN
weights that are pre-trained) is somehow pre-programmed up to a point. As
we experience red in early childhood, and throughout life, we create a
different perception of red that can be refined or sometimes degraded. It
is not a fixed forever thing in the brain but it is always changing and
modifying. This again destroys completely Brent's misconception about what
redness is.
What about redness in a machine then?
If I can teach a machine to associate a certain given range of light
frequencies (what humans call red) with a given pattern of activations
(weights in a trained NN) then that experience of redness is as valid and
real as mine. No difference.
Well, with the caveat that the machine needs to have a way to "recognize"
it is seeing red (some kind of feedback loop that alerts the system of its
own states).
This is it. We solved the mystery of redness.
Giovanni