[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 15:55:56 UTC 2023

Hi Giovanni,
Yes, that is all what I've been trying to describe, I just don't have
enough neuroscience to be at your level.  You are finally thinking in a way
that is not quality blind, so thank you.
And this proposed testing would work great, IF it is indeed some location
in the brain, or a particular neural path that is responsible for redness,
but it will likely miss if redness is something material, like glutamate,
or something at the quantum level.
But your proposal to stimulate things (i.e. stimulate, then say that is
Giovanni's redness, to which the subject could say: Oh, that is my
greenness.) is definitely important.
Also, there could be issues with having an entire region of redness.  With
that you could get some higher level model that isn't directly
correlated with the redness or greenness of individual pixels.
That is why I like switching one pixel in the field of vision from redness
to greenness.  Then find the minimum, whatever it is, that is
responsible for just the one pixel going from redness to greenness.
And of course, another critical part of all this is the computational
binding of all these pixels of color qualities into composite consciousness
visual knowledge.  In Computers, it is the discrete logic gates between the
CPU registers that do the computational binding.
Obviously, if you cut the discrete logic gates which are binding whatever
it is that has the redness or grenness quality to the rest of
consciousness, it may still have a redness quality, but it will no longer
be a part of consciousness (it will be subconscious redness)

So, basically, once you discover what Giovanni's redness is.  You
computationally bind that into someone's consciousness and say: 'That is
Giovanni's redness" to which they could say something like:  "Wow, I've
never experienced a color like that before." which they may say if they are
red / green color blind, because they represent both red and green with
Giovanni's greenness.  They, having never experienced Giovani's redness
till then.  Certainly, whis is what people that suffer from achromatopsia
would say in most cases.