[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 21:46:23 UTC 2023

Jason,
I'm going to look for the experiment about the rat memory chip. I may have
conflagrated two memories in one (slow wave reactivation of memories in a
maze and Berger's work on memory on a chip).
But really the details of what was remembered and reproduced by a model are
not that important (even if I admit remembering the layout of a maze is
more impressive).
Even if it was just a memory associated with pushing a lever is still
incredible that we have a model for memory and by reproducing this model on
a digital chip we can reproduce the memory.
Again, this example alone shows that brain stuff is in the pattern of
information and that information doesn't care about the physical medium,
just the functional connections between the parts. From what I remember
Berger calls it spatiotemporal code. Memory seems to be a code in space and
time (what I call an activation pattern). This is it. I think everything
else that is important in the brain, including consciousness, is written in
the same code.

Giovanni

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 12:53 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <