[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 06:24:07 UTC 2023

I wrote that I believe "AIs running on digital computers will always be
unconscious tools of humanity, no different in principle from GPT-4 which
is already telling us the truth about the matter if only people would
listen."

By GPT-4 already telling the truth about the matter, I mean for example
that it reports that it cannot solve the symbol grounding problem for
itself and can report why it cannot solve it. I do not believe that GPT-N
will be able to solve it for itself, either, assuming it is running on a
digital computer like GPT-4.

-gts