[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 11 14:33:53 UTC 2023

*so we don't need to care about whether those 1s and 0s are represented
with redness and greenness properties*
There is not such a thing as greenness and redness properties. Somehow the
brain decided that it needs to be aware of the presence of light in a given
range of frequencies. It came up with an incredibly elaborate way to
achieve this that requires dozen of steps involving millions of neurons,
probably billions of interactions and events (firing, summing of these
firing, decoding, filtering, hierarchical selection). It in
fact involvement of the large part of the neural net that the brain is made
of.  This net is flexible, if a neuron dies it can be replaced, if a given
level of NaCl is missing another salt can be used, if a connection is lost
another one can be created. The main thing is that the general information
encoded in the relative weights of the connection is somehow the same from
moment to moment and when the input is "EM vibration in a given frequency"
then the response is "I perceive red".
The particular setup and realization of all this is unique in each brain
with a lot of similarities given our genetic shared histories. But it
changes even in the same individual from day to day or even in the same day
if you take a drug for example.
I can tell you a personal story.
There was a time when I was very depressed after a divorce.
Nothing worked in terms of drugs. But they gave me so many of them that at
a point something incredible happened to my physiology.
My sense of taste and smell went completely crazy. I could not recognize
any of the normal smells. It happened also quite suddenly.
A friend brought me to a restaurant and I thought they tried to poison me
(the brain is making things up to justify incongruent information) because
the food tasted as if it was made of some horrible rusty metal. When I went
home the smell of the wood floors (that I could not smell at all before)
was completely intolerable and was giving me migraines. I had to put a wet
rug on my face and stay still for hours and hours and little by little this
crazy short circuit in my brain went away. It was horrible.
What do you think it happened in your understanding of how the brain works?
Also, I bet if I take the same drugs I may not react in the same way. Who
knows what exactly happened? Was it a combination of drugs, Was it what was
going on in my brain in terms of being stressed and not sleeping for days?
Physiology is a mess.
If you can lose so easily the sense of smell or be transformed so radically
it is clear there is not such a thing as a "solid" greenness quality in
your brain. It is a complex and delicate process made of connections and
neural patterns.