[ExI] Why stop at glutamate?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Wed Apr 12 14:20:13 UTC 2023

On Wed, Apr 12, 2023 at 7:23 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> On Tue, Apr 11, 2023, 8:38 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <
>
>> On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 9:51 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

>>> No.
>>>
>>> There is no objective image (i.e. imagining) of the Mona Lisa. There
>>> just some arrangement of atoms in the Louvre. Each person creates the image
>>> anew in their head when they look it it, but there's no way of sharing or
>>> comparing the experiences between any two individuals.
>>>
>>> If you think otherwise could you explain how two people with different
>>> brains could come to know how the other perceives?
>>>

>> There is the weak form of communicating qualities which you can do if
>> your terms are physically grounded (i.e. redness is glutamate) in a
>> reliably reproducible way.  so if you objectively detect that objective
>> description of redness for one brain, is an objective description of
>> greenness in another brain.
>>

> How can there be an objective description of redness for one brain? Isn't
> that subjective? How does one determine when glutamate is redness in one
> brain but greenness in another?

No, glutamate (or whatever objectively observed physics it turns out to be)
is always the same subjective quality.  They are the same thing. the
prediction is you can objectively observe subjective qualities.  We just
don't currently know which of all the stuff we are objectively observing is
subjective redness)  One person may use it to represent red visual
knowledge (they would call it redness) but another person could be
engineered to use glutamate quality to represent green.  So far that
person, they would call it greenness.

> That would enable you to ground a sufficiently defined statement like: "My
>> redness(glutamate) is like your greenness(glycine), both of which we call
>> red."
>> Here is a description of the strongest form of effing the ineffable taken
>> from my "3 Types of Effing the Ineffable
>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JKwACeT3b1bta1M78wZ3H2vWkjGxwZ46OHSySYRWATs/edit>"
>> document.
>>
>> Half of our visual knowledge is in our left hemisphere, the other half,
>> in the right.  The Corpus Callosum
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpus_callosum> computationally binds
>> these into one unified conscious awareness of everything around us.  If we
>> had a neural ponytail <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uf9SWvs4beE>,
>> which could computationally bind like the corpus callosum, this would
>> enable us to experience all of the experiences, not just half, when we hug
>> someone.
>>

> There's a case of some conjoined twins with a "thalamic bridge" that
> enables them to hear each other's thoughts and see out of each other's eyes.
>
> It's an interesting question to consider whether this bridge ensures they
> see the same colors or whether the separate processing by their unique
> visual cortexes allows them to stil perceive colors differently. The same
> question would arise with neural ponytails.

Yes, exactly.  If people double neural ponytails are possible, and they are
often VERY shocked to hear of this, and it falsifies their doubt, for
sure.  Demonstrable proof the 4 hemispheres can be bound just as well as 2
hemispheres.

If the first two inverted systems were computationally bound with a neural
>> ponytail, they would both directly (infallibly) experience the other's
>> inverted knowledge of the world.  You’d be aware of what is behind you, as
>> seen through your partner’s eyes, that knowledge being red green inverted
>> from your knowledge of what is in front of you.
>>

> I think it depends on what level of processor the information is shared.
> If the ponytails shared data from the optic nerves and they had similar
> retinal behavior, their color experience would likely not change. Oft,
> however higher level visual information from the visual cortex were shared,
> then this could present as some kind of inverted qualia.
>
> Are you aware of the experiment were color blind monkeys had their retinas
> infected with a retro virus that made their cone cells produced new color
> sensing proteins, and after a few weeks they gained trichromatic vision?
> The only change to their biology occurred in their retina. How can the
> "qualia are physical properties" theory account for the results of this
> experiment?

No, I wasn't aware of that.  Very interesting.