[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 13 22:28:51 UTC 2023

Well, my analogy of the map is something you could address independently of
everything else. It has also to do with referents. Do you think there is an
explanatory gap in a map?
After all, looking at a map doesn't make feel how the territory really
looks like. BUT THAT IS THE ENTIRE POINT OF A MAP !

So what Nagel says is a bug in the scientific understanding of
consciousness it is actually a feature. I don't get how this is not
understood.

Nagel doesn't understand how science works and the same for his
philosopher friends.
I admire Penrose as a scientist and the fact he wanted to understand
consciousness but I think he is wrong on many things from Platonism to how
consciousness works. It can happen to the best of us. He is by the way
relatively isolated in this area of science. My position and that of the
majority of physicalists are similar to Sean Carrol's ones. He is one of
the few physicists that engage in these discussions.

Here is a nice lecture by Carrol on this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HNjL8_fsTk