[ExI] are qualia communicable? Was Why stop at glutamate?

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Fri Apr 14 14:46:41 UTC 2023

On Fri, 14 Apr 2023, Jason Resch via extropy-chat wrote:

> Even if Alice outputs her whole brain state, A(I), at best her friends only interpret it and reach states:
>
> B(A(I)), C(A(I)), D(A((I)), E(A(I))
>
> Do you see a way around this? Can Alice's output something that anyone upon seeing it will have the same experience as Alice has?

Not without a serious dose of science fiction and a weakening or
redefinition of the term "same experience".

If by same experience we want same time, location, hardware and
software state, B would have to be "turned into" A, but B could not be
both A and B, so if B is turned back from A to B, I cannot see
how it could be done. It almost feels more like a logic problem
than a philosophy problem. ;)

Best regards,
Daniel