[ExI] are qualia communicable?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 18:42:03 UTC 2023

Hi Ben,

There is a whole lot of misunderstanding in all that.  But let's start with
what I think is the core of all the misunderstanding which is you asking me
this:

"If you mean something else, please explain (without, please, please,
resorting to your usual indecipherable vocabulary. In case you're
uncertain what I mean, don't use the terms 'computationally bind',
'quality', 'dictionary', 'redness' *(just 'red' will do)*, and
'objective'. "

The problem is, you are asking me to describe qualities, using quality
blind language, which is not possible.  That is the whole point of what we
are attempting to describe.
Perhaps it would help if you'd take this socratic survey asking if you are
quality blind
<https://canonizer.com/topic/592-Are-You-Qualia-Blind/1-Agreement>.
In review, consider this image of people representing knowledge of the same
strawberry with different qualities.
 [image: 3_functionally_equal_machines_tiny.png]

That strawberry has one set of properties.  The light reflecting off of it
has a different set of properties.
That same light is entering all 3 sets of eyes, and all 3 of the systems
can tell you the strawberry is red.
The first one's knowledge of red has one quality, the second one has a
red/green signal inverter in the retina, so its knowledge of the strawberry
has a different quality, and the 3rd ones' knowledge is abstract.  You
can't know the quality without a dictionary.

In other words, you are saying "it will do" to simply use the same abstract
label 'red' for the strawberry, the light, and all the diverse qualities
and kinds of knowledge being used to represent that strawberry.
The definition of a quality blind language is one that uses one abstract
word to represent all properties that can represent 'red' information.
As long as your language can't model *different *properties representing '
*red*' information, we will fail to understand each other.

In order to not be quality blind, we need to do something like enhance our
terminology, as follows:

   1. “red” The intrinsic property of objects that are the target of our
   observation, the initial cause of the perception process (i.e. when the
   strawberry reflects 650 nm (red) light). A label for Anything that reflects
   or emits ‘red’ light.
   2. “redNESS” The different intrinsic property of our knowledge of red
   things, the final result of our perception of red.

If you use sufficient terminology, to represent the different properties,
and if you adequately define the terminology.

Then we can eff the ineffable or say things to each other like the first
two systems in the image could say to each other:

    "My redness is like your greenness, both of which we call red."

Something that we can't do, if *(just 'red' will do).*

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 9:51 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <