[ExI] are qualia communicable?

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 21:18:23 UTC 2023

Hi Ben,
What you are saying is exactly what I would say if I was good with words as
you are.
What strikes me is that is what everybody else that is scientifically
trained is saying the same things, even if in slightly different words.
The explanations are coherent and based on what we know about how reality
works. But notwithstanding all this, the other side is repeating more or
less the same mantras about the redness of red, the grounding problem, and
stuff like that without really adding layers of understanding to the
discussion. Not sure if this impasse can be resolved at all.

Maybe in the future when we know more about brains and minds of all types
these misconceptions will disappear as they did with the concept of "life
spirit" that people were using to justify why life is magical and a divine
creation beyond the understanding of science.
I'm not sure what is going on with Brent because I think he has
supposedly a more scientific motivation but what he says doesn't sound
scientific at all. But I know Gordon, for his own admission, thinks there
is something beyond science behind consciousness and that science is not
adequate to understand it. This is more of a religious position than a
scientific one so not sure there is much point in discussing further.
Giovanni

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 8:52 AM Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <