[ExI] GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 15 22:33:13 UTC 2023

Brent,
I think you are fixated on the idea that redness is the experience of
redness and that this experience locks in the secret of consciousness. I
would say that is almost the opposite. Redness is something the brain came
up to experience red, because red was useful to detect given it is
associated with things like ripe fruits (it is a simplification but useful
for my argument).

The system needs to be aware of this detection so it found a way to alert
itself of the presence of red in the external environment.
But this is not the essence of consciousness and it really doesn't matter
how it is achieved. Somehow being aware of things in the environment gave
rise to this complex phenomenon of awareness. It is an emergent behavior
and you would not be able to explain it in terms of "atomic" things like
redness. It is the transcendence of the atomic things, the fact that the
sum of the atomic things cannot reproduce the whole that makes
consciousness so interesting and difficult to understand. It is an emergent
phenomenon.

So even the idea of recreating the redness of somebody by focusing on the
"atomic" aspect of the experience (that is not atomic at all) misses
completely the point. Redness is not as simple as you claim to be (there
are no pixels) and it is not going to help us to understand what awareness
is.

Giovanni

On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 4:33 AM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <