[ExI] are qualia communicable? Was Why stop at glutamate?

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Sun Apr 16 14:26:08 UTC 2023

Hi Jason,

On Sun, Apr 16, 2023 at 8:05 AM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <

> On Sat, Apr 15, 2023 at 4:59 PM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <
>
>> Understanding of this phenomenon comes first because somehow there is
>> some sharing and integration of experience among these neurons.
>>

> Neurons can represent both logic gates (where and/or/not/sum, etc. are
> performed) as well as information channels/wires. I think it is easy to
> lose the forest for the trees by focusing on these low level components,
> just as one would get lost looking at NAND gates and wires in an integrated
> circuit, and asking, "How are video files and sound files transferred
> between these NAND gates and wires?" They aren't really, they just perform
> the low level computational substrate upon which higher level computational
> states may be based, which allow complex processes to deal with and handle
> things like video files and sound files.

Yes, Giovanni, I completely agree, this is the most important part.  How is
the computational binding achieved, so you can experience the entire bubble
world of qualities
<https://canonizer.com/videos/consciousness?chapter=the+world+in+your+head&format=360>
(along
with knowledge of the I, and all the other situational awareness) as one
unified composite conscious experience.  Just "Neurons can represent both
logic gates (where and/or/not/sum, etc. are performed) as well as
information channels/wires." alone won't do this.  You can do a neuro
substitution on only that, but all that thought idea proves is that NOTHING
(even anything functional) can have the redness quality.  You must be able
to present something to the computational binding system that has a
quality, and the entire system must be aware of how that quality compares
with all the other qualities, and when that pixel changes from redness to
greenness in a substrate (or at least quality) dependent way.