[ExI] My guesses about GPTs consciousness

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Mon Apr 17 14:09:42 UTC 2023

On Mon, 17 Apr 2023, Jason Resch via extropy-chat wrote:

> Plants, though they operate on a different time scale than can learn, adapt and even communicate with other plants. Maybe their
> experience is more distributed and less integrated though. I am not sure we understand the mechanisms. But if they are
> conscious/aware in some way, it shows numerology isn't required.

And let's not forget mushrooms, or as mentioned in the classic Gödel,
Escher, Bach, anthills from a system point of view. =)

I like to think of consciousness as a spectrum starting from 0 to
_possibly_ infinity. I really like what was mentioned here, that we are
not the end station, but the spectrum continuing way past ourselves.

So given consciousness as a spectrum, I could very well consider
bacteria and similar organisms as having some kind of degree of
consciousness.

And once consciousness has reached sufficient complexity and level on
the scale, self-consciousness would appear spontaneously.

So therefore, I would not be surprised if chatgpt was integrated with
some kind of orchestrator with plenty of other specialized systems, and
perhaps, with some memory and some fundamental laws of self preservation
self-consciousness and "will" would appear.

Best regards,
Daniel