[ExI] Definition of Consciousness (Was Re: My guesses about GPTs consciousness)

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 17:27:54 UTC 2023

Hi Daniel,
Thanks for working on building and tracking consensus around a definition
of consciousness.  This is so important.  That's exactly what we're working
on doing over on the consensus building and tracking system Canonizer.com.
While there are competing camps, there is an emerging consensus camp:
Representational
Qualia Theory
<https://canonizer.com/topic/88-Theories-of-Consciousness/6-Representational-Qualia>.
It defines consciousness or sentience as:

        *Computationally bound subjective qualities like redness, grenness,
warmth*.

This definition distinguishes between abstract systems (use a word like
'red' to represent information, isn't like anything and requires a
dictionary) which can be functionally equivalent.
and  Phenomenal systems, which represent information directly on subjective
qualities like redness.  Sentience is like something.

Your definition seems a bit recursive, consciousness is sentience?
If you define sentience as "awareness of internal and external existence",
then you would consider a system with abstract knowledge of internal and
external things, which isn't like anything to be conscious or sentient?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 4:51 AM efc--- via extropy-chat <