[ExI] e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 21:05:51 UTC 2023

*From my own biased perspective I would say that while others have
understood and replied with rebuttals to your arguments, you have not
always done the same in return.*Right, that is my main problem with Gordon
and Brent's positions. Brent at least tries to explain things
slightly differently but it is often a rewording of what he said previously.
But it does engage most of the time when a reply is given. But Gordon says
mostly 2 things: 1) some linguist said this and that 2) referents,
referents, referents. It is not that we don't understand what a referent
is, we do and probably better than the linguists do but we are pointing out
the obvious that these referents are not a 1 to 1 unidirectional
relationship (there is really no grounding) but a complex net of connection
that is really where the meaning is. It doesn't matter if the relationship
are between abstract concepts and physical things in the world (it matters
for survival but for meaning) or all abstract connections, the connections
is where the "stuff" is.
Gordon is afraid of regression to infinity if that was the case but that is
not what happens in reality. Given enough connections and enough connected
things meaning and form emerges without regression to infinity. The result
is this fuzzy thing we call language and worldviews and they don't need to
be logically true and consistent all the time but statistically useful and
relevant as all good models are.
The scientists among us get it and it is somehow difficult to convey this
deep intuition to others that do not science for a living.
Not sure how to help with this besides what we tried to far.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 11:13 AM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <