[ExI] e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

Brent Allsop brent.allsop at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 22:20:16 UTC 2023

Hi Giovani,

I'm trying to get my head around this view that all there are is
relationships.

My normal thinking is, there is the subject, I.  There is the object, the
ball.  Then there is the programmed relationship;  I throw.
I, is a label for my body.  The ball is a round object that fits in my
hand.  And "throw" is a label for a set of programming that defines the
relationship (what am I going to do to the ball?)
For me, it is the computational binding which contains all the diverse sets
of programmed, or meaningful relationships.  For me, you still need the
objective, for the relationships to be meaningful.

So I'm trying to figure out how one might achieve all that with
relationships, only.
So I could be defined as the one doing the throwing.  And the ball could be
defined as what is being thrown.
And I guess a red property could be defined as a property of something that
is different from something that is green.
Is this the kind of stuff you are saying is all that really happens in real
life?

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 3:24 PM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <