[ExI] My guesses about GPTs consciousness

SR Ballard sen.otaku at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 15:08:07 UTC 2023

I have a very weak sense of smell IRL so I never smell things in
dreams, for example I find the smell of garbage and other "highly
unpleasant" smells only mildly interesting. For example, I feel that
American instant ramen noodles and urine smell exactly the same. Or that
fish and urine have a similar smell. The only time I remember eating or
tasting anything in dreams is when I had an active eating disorder.
Likewise, I only had sex in my dreams when I was celebate.

I imagine how much you dream about a specific sense is highly correlated
with how strongly you use it in your waking life. People born blind likely
do not have dreams about visuals (though I'm not sure how they would know
what they were experiencing, even if they did. In the same way, my aunt
with a strong sense of smell often has smells as an integrated part of her
dreams because they are an important part of her waking life.

On Mon, Apr 17, 2023 at 1:22 PM Will Steinberg via extropy-chat <