[ExI] Definition of Consciousness (Was Re: My guesses about GPTs consciousness)

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Wed Apr 19 10:35:04 UTC 2023

Hello Brent,

On Tue, 18 Apr 2023, Brent Allsop via extropy-chat wrote:

> Hi Daniel,Yes, currently our priority is getting Canonizer to make some income.

Oh, it's your business? =) That's nice! Who are your target customers at
the moment? Are you selling primarily to schools? Could this be combined
perhaos with some kind of online delphi system to hash out positions and
derive answers? If you would get experts in their fields to participate,
that would be a nice resources.

> Once we achieve that, we will focus on significantly expanding the theories of consciousness survey, hopefully including 10s of
> thousands of philosophers representing their current views.

Ahh, now I see the vision! Perhaps I could then stop using wikipedia for
introductions to various philosophical topics!

> There is evidence with what we have that functionalism is the most popular way to think about consciousness,  And you sound like a
> functionalist.
> Except the current functionalist camps do differ from this belief:
>
> "qualia and redness in fact are "red herrings" that will get us nowhere, and should best be left alone."

I'll read up on the functionalist camp to see where we part ways. But
based on a very quick wikipedia glance, I do see quite a few things I
agree with. Then there was a link to computationalism, and I see some
good things there. Well, let me stop this rambling of trying to put
"isms" on myself. ;)

> on this list?  Anyone?
> Would you be willing to support such a camp?  I'd be willing to do all the work.  All you'd need to do is "support' it.

What would it mean in terms of time? Since I have my own business some
weeks are very busy, and other are less so. I saw in the other reply a
note about 24 hour windows and I'm sorry to say that I cannot promise to
strictly follow anything within a 24 hour window.

Best regards,
Daniel