[ExI] Singularity news

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 19 20:19:07 UTC 2023

*I just read a physics article about symmetry... would you be willing to
assert the point above with additional clarity on "language"?  Either by
defining it as some form of protocol with agreement on semantics or
reducing it to simple signals that are (arbitrarily) constrained by time
and space?*

Hi Mike,
One of the interesting things is actually the LLMs are not told anything
about semantics or even grammar but they actually derive it from the
language regularities. It is not obvious at all and human experts claimed
it was not possible for neural networks to do that from scratch and direct
programming. These experts were wrong.
They simply have no understanding of how the ANN work, they are supposed to
come close to how our brain works (plus much better memory and processing
power than we have) and extract meaning from patterns and relationships
(what else is ANN if not a bunch of knots in a complex tapestry?). The
meaning emerges from the patterns and no referents (or at least absolute,
external referents) are necessary.
In physics, this is true even more so and I gave many examples in the last
several weeks of this ongoing discussion.
I wanted to write a Medium article on this. The fact we are using language
models to understand the world is a powerful theoretical unification too
and when you get this unification in science a lot of progress follows
naturally. I have also a strong intuition that actually language gave us
the consciousness we associate with being humans.

Giovanni

On Wed, Apr 19, 2023 at 8:17 AM Mike Dougherty via extropy-chat <