[ExI] LLMs and Computability

Darin Sunley dsunley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 15:35:32 UTC 2023

Samantha,

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "implement".

Consider the difference between

F(n)=1√5[(1+√52)n−(1−√52)n]

And

def F(n)
  if n < 2
    return n
  else
    return F(n - 1) + F(n - 2)
  end
end

Both implement the exact same function - finding the nth Fibonnaci number,
but using radically different code. The first is implementation of the
second. It happens to be a lossless compression of the second. But what if
it was an imperfect implementation, delivering occasionally different
results from the second. I think it would still be fair to call it an
implementation, albeit an imperfect one.

Similarly, the F(tokenstream -> tokenstream) learned by a LLM is an
implementation, albeit imperfect, of the system that generated its training
data. And if that underlying system (human linguistic computation) is
Turing complete (modulo memory size), then thel earned function may be as
well.

[If you want to reserve the definition of "implementation" for functions
that are precisely correct over their entire range, I won't argue, but I
think "implementation" is a useful concept if it can encompass some
fuzziness.]]

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 2:17 AM sjatkins via extropy-chat <