[ExI] all we are is just llms was: RE: e: GPT-4 on its inability to solve the symbol grounding problem

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Fri Apr 21 04:02:51 UTC 2023

From: spike at rainier66.com <spike at rainier66.com>

>…I once believed I fully understood what those terms mean, but now I realize they are far more subtle than I had imagined….spike

Apologies, I accidentally hit send with no new comment before.

If I may run with the ball on that previously-posted notion, I have always thought of consciousness, emotion and intelligence as parallel functions, since they all occur in human brains.  But what if… we attempt to create a model, perhaps with the help of psychologists and other professionals, and try to map those human characteristics on orthogonal axes.  They can be (and likely will be) correlated, so that a super-intelligent person will also have super-emotion and super-consciousness (I suppose.)  I don’t know that for a fact.

Billw or someone here might know if such a model of the human mind already exists, or if research has been done on this topic.