[ExI] Ethical AI?

Gadersd gadersd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 01:20:00 UTC 2023

> So will it, given a big enough amount of training data represent the
> "human average" ethical theory, or will something spontaneous be
> generated?

The way the models are trained compels them to, by default, sample specific random personas rather than averages. The training goal is to mimic the distribution of the wild internet as closely as possible rather than the most likely or the most average answers.

This is why the using the raw models in the real world is dangerous. It is like grabbing a random person on the internet and giving him or her some control over something. It can turn out very badly if a troll, nazi, etc. is sampled.

So theoretically a raw model should generate ethical theories as if you took a random person on the internet and asked him or her about her moral framework. Finetuning these models on different objectives than the original training objective can change this behavior to perhaps get a more average response.