[ExI] all we are is just llms

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 03:59:09 UTC 2023

*A materialist would say that what you know, is that certain neurons in
your brain are activated in a certain pattern when you see red. That is all
you can know.*

*Brent Allsop, [27.08.21 12:23]*

*I am a materialist, and I agree with your first statement.*

*But your second statement can be falsified.  Once we discover which of all
our descriptions of stuff in my brain is a description of my redness, this
will falsify your last claim, since we will then know more than you claim
we can know.* In which way it would be falsified? Ok even if describe all
the biological events behind the sensation of red how that helps me
understand what redness is? Should I actually describe the interaction at
the atomic level? At the subatomic level? Should I go all the way to the
Plank's scale? The reason why a neuroscientist cares about the patterns in
the neurons is that it is where the stuff that matter is, not that we don't
know how to go lower in terms of biological events that can create these
neural patterns. The details knowledge of the physical events would not
help us a bit in understanding what redness is. Not sure why this needs to
be repeated over and over. The neural patterns is where the magic happens
because it is where the information is organized, the temporal flow of it,
the amount of it (that can be measured). We can look at how many regions of
the brain are activated under different consciousness conditions, how it is
affected by the presence of drugs, food, and so on. You are looking for
redness in the wrong place.