[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sun Apr 23 15:04:12 UTC 2023

On 23/04/2023 14:47, Jason wrote:
> "Here’s a quick recap on the saga that’s taken us from completely
> closed-source models like GPT-4 to the latest open-source AI models
> that anyone (with a beefy enough computer) can run for free.
<quick recap on the saga that’s taken us from completely closed-source
models like GPT-4 to the latest open-source AI models...>

Thanks, Jason. That's excellent. And looks pretty much in line with my
hysterical over-hyped post from millions and millions of seconds ago
about how we're in the first stages of the singularity and most people
don't even know it yet.

I've kept my distance from these things so far, for various reasons, but
as they get more powerful, at some point I'll definitely be getting
myself an AI girlfrie - er, I mean secretary! Assistant. Advisor.
Teacher. Acquaintance. Personal Demon. Yep, one of those.

And I shall be grilling it intensively on how many symbols can be
grounded on the head of a pin.

At some point, surely, someone will start getting plausible answers to
questions like 'How do we achieve practical fusion power
plants/space-based solar power/drexlerian nanotechnology/mind
uploading/indefinite life-extension/abundance economy for those who want
it/give everyone in the world a chance to lead the lives they want to
lead while simultaneously preventing any megolomaniac fuckheads wiping
us all of the face of the earth, etc.?

Oh, and asteroid defence. Just in case.

I mean, what's the point of a superintelligence if it can't help with
any of those?

Ben