[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Stuart LaForge avant at sollegro.com
Sun Apr 23 19:14:07 UTC 2023

Quoting Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>:

> At some point, surely, someone will start getting plausible answers
> to questions like 'How do we achieve practical fusion power
> plants/space-based solar power/drexlerian nanotechnology/mind
> uploading/indefinite life-extension/abundance economy for those who
> want it/give everyone in the world a chance to lead the lives they
> want to lead while simultaneously preventing any megolomaniac
> fuckheads wiping us all of the face of the earth, etc.?
>
> Oh, and asteroid defence. Just in case.
>
> I mean, what's the point of a superintelligence if it can't help
> with any of those?

Well-put, Ben. The current generation of transformer-style LLM are not
going to be a big help fulfilling your wish list. But
transformer-style LLM are just the popular AI models du jour. Other
more specialized and technical AI are making some progress. I expect
some customized proteins to be in the works thanks to Alphafold and
its derivatives, and those might be a big boost when it comes to life
extension and first generation nanotech. The leading edge of the
abundance economy is already here when it comes to information, most
recently G-rated pop art and filler content. Human artists and writers
are liable to need to become edgier, more controversial, and less safe
for work in order to compete with generative AI. Meanwhile, PTA news
letters will start to look a lot more slick and polished. The common
core educational standards and higher education will likely need to be
revamped either to preclude or incorporate students using generative
AI to help with their studies. So as fast as things are moving, we are
still only barely in the foothills of Mount Singularity. I, for one,
am grateful for the breathing room afforded us by the
non-superintelligence of transformer LLM. But it is a clear signal for
us to start getting our shit together as a species.

Stuart LaForge