[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Mon Apr 24 06:15:26 UTC 2023

Brent,
Is to it crazy to say that a table is 99.9999 empty space? But it is
actually a scientific fact. If I say that the solidity of the table is an
illusion and it turns out that really (I didn't make up the number it is a
real fact) 99.9999 of a table is empty space who is crazy, who insists that
table is solid or who says it is an illusion due to the repulsion of the
electrons in your hand and the repulsion of the electrons in the table that
gives you this "sense" of solidness?
In this exact sense, in fact, it is a very strong analogy that the
sensation of red is an illusion. It seems real but it is just a bunch of
neurons firing in your brain. It is code. It is made of nothing than
patterns and interaction, EXACTLY like the solidity of the table is just an
EM interaction between electrons.
Do you know why your friends agree with your naive understanding of
redness? Because they don't understand science (ask them if they think a
table is solid or the fact they actually never touch the ground when they
walk) or that there is a non zero probability to go across a wall or
finding yourself tomorrow morning in the galaxy of Andromeda. Science and
reality is weird my friend, I didn't make up this universe, I just study
its laws.

Giovanni

On Sun, Apr 23, 2023 at 6:41 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <