[ExI] matrioshka brains again

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Mon Apr 24 13:23:22 UTC 2023

From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of Ben Zaiboc via extropy-chat
…

>…If I may chip in, isn't all this assuming that each node will absorb, and then must cope with all the incident radiation?

No.  Read on please.

>…My question would be, why not reflect away what's not needed?

It does, but for the inner nodes, there is no away.  When it reflects the energy not needed, it reflects it toward other nodes.  The innermost nodes get too hot eventually.

>…We wrap spacecraft in silver foil to stop them overheading, why not Matrioshka Brains?

Ben

That silver foil would reflect energy toward other nodes.  The difference between that and every spacecraft is that the latter has deep space into which it can radiate its waste heat.  The innermost nodes have a warm background.