[ExI] ChatGPT-4 gets the joke, almost

Gordon Swobe gordon.swobe at gmail.com
Tue Apr 25 16:37:55 UTC 2023

GPT-4 understood this joke on the first try, but I felt disappointed that
it did not laugh first before the explanation. Perhaps, like so many people
possibly in the corpus on which it was trained, it groans at puns.

Me: The problem with kleptomaniacs is that they always take things
literally.

GPT-4: That statement is actually a play on words or a pun, using the dual
meaning of the word "literally." Kleptomaniacs are people with an impulsive
disorder that leads them to steal things, even when they don't need or want
the items. In this context, "take things" refers to the act of stealing.
The word "literally" is used here to create a humorous twist, as it usually
means interpreting words in their most basic and direct sense, without any
figurative or metaphorical meaning. The pun humorously suggests that
kleptomaniacs can't help but "take things literally" in both senses of the
phrase – stealing items and interpreting language directly.

On Mon, Apr 24, 2023 at 4:46 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat <