[ExI] Symbol Grounding

efc at swisscows.email efc at swisscows.email
Wed Apr 26 19:54:47 UTC 2023

On Wed, 26 Apr 2023, Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat wrote:

> Computers have no human brains, or sense organs for that matter which are required for symbols to be grounded to be their referents,
> and so the question remains how a language model running on a digital computer could possibly know the meanings of words in the
> corpus. But you say I am the one dodging the question.

I would suggest that the grounding is transitive. By the fact that humans, and
human generated data, who have these organs and groundings, have created
the AI:s, the AI:s have inherited the groundings.

When the AI:s are then hooked up with senses, these inherited groundings
will then be double checked and possibly revised if needed.

Best regards,
Daniel