[ExI] The 'Don't Look Up' Thinking That Could Doom Us With AI

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Thu Apr 27 00:35:47 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of BillK via extropy-chat
--------------------

>...Unfortunately, the AI race won't slow down. The fear that others might speed on and win the race to AI domination will keep up the pressure.
The order of Admiral Farragut at the Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay “Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead,” could lead to disaster in the AI race.

BillK

BillK, note the collective insanity that humanity suffered in the years and decades following the development of the atomic bomb, followed by the hydrogen bomb.  We knew it was crazy and self-destructive at the time, but there was no exit ramp on that freeway to hell.  I see none on this one either.  Eliezer's notion of nuking anyone developing AI: that won't work and we wouldn't do it anyway.  There is no stopping now, and no turning back.

If I may end that thought on a positive note (if at all possible) it would be this: we never used those hydrogen bombs even after the insane risk we passed though to get to where we are now.  Nuclear bombs are still a huge risk to humanity, but... here we are still.  We may discover ways to prevent AI from destroying our society.