[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Thu Apr 27 01:52:54 UTC 2023

Brent,
I think Giovanni has already said it better than I can.
But let me try to be as simple as possible in my takeaway from the video.
If we see red strawberries when there is *not *700 nm of light being
reflected, and we also see red strawberries when there is 700 nm of light
being reflected, depending on the apparent lighting context around those
strawberries, then the perception of red in this case does not seem to be
tied anything inherent in or about the strawberry. We "see" red when it is
not really there. What is the quality of that object we are "seeing" that
makes it red when it is not really red? It can't have red qualia if it's
not really red. This is highly problematic to the simplistic qualia model
you are trying to refine. I'm a fan of the qualia concept personally. I'm
not quite ready to let it go. But color qualia specifically may have to go
out the window if we have confidence that things that are not really red
are red. Sort of like giving up on air, earth, water, fire as being the
basic elements. Doesn't mean there are no basic elements, but it was not as
simple as we thought. Giovanni was a bit stronger in suggesting this
obliterates your model or something like that.
-Henry

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 7:44 PM Giovanni Santostasi via extropy-chat <