[ExI] Another ChatGPT session on qualia

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 06:51:04 UTC 2023

Hi Adrian,
I'm using GPT-4 and when I want to test its spatial relationship I ask
GPT-4 to write code in vector graphics. Then I copy and paste the code in
HTML and I see the results.
They are pretty amazing and this is the sort of the experiments that
actually can really tease the cognitive abilities of these systems. To me
the fact that GPT-4 can go across media, understand where the tail of a
helicopter is, draw a cockpit when you ask to add a human (and it can
explain why it did it), and use superimposed circles to describe the
fuzziness of clouds is completely mind-blowing. Claiming there is no
understanding in these operations is just being in some high-level denial
and cognitive dissonance.
One think you can try is to look for puzzles maybe or some of the typical
theory of mind tests that psychologists perform on young children. Some
scientists have done a very systematic study of these capabilities and
concluded that GPT-4 has the theory of mind of 9 years hold human.

On Wed, Apr 26, 2023 at 11:45 PM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <