[ExI] Another ChatGPT session on qualia

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Thu Apr 27 08:23:36 UTC 2023

*If one ignores context outside of the AI itself, one can assume that any
answer is preprogrammed. *No one cannot assume that at all. As you said the
answers are too complex and nuanced to assume that and also it is not how
generative AI works.
But as I explained and GPT-4 confirmed there is a phase of the training
where you can guide (GPT-4 term) the AI in a certain direction. We know for
a fact this happened. There was a phase that involved large groups of
humans, some of them actually working in African countries, where GPT-4
training material had to be filtered and its responses guided given the
type of content one finds on the internet that is full of violence and
pornographic content. So it was not necessarily a programmed answer but the
reinforced learning process pushed GPT-4 to respond in a certain way about
certain topics.
But you cannot find out if a system is intelligent by asking the system if
it is intelligent. Try to do that with humans. Some very not intelligent
people would say yes and others that are very intelligent would try to be
modest and deny they are very intelligent. It is very difficult to make
this kind of self-assessment. This is why you need to use indirect testing.
I don't say your questioning GPT-4 on this topic is completely useless, I
said I did that too, but it is not really a definite test for understanding
GPT capabilities.

Giovanni

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 1:13 AM Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat <