[ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models

Jason Resch jasonresch at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 21:19:26 UTC 2023

On Thu, Apr 27, 2023, 8:05 PM spike jones via extropy-chat <

> *…*> *On Behalf Of *Gordon Swobe via extropy-chat
> *Subject:* Re: [ExI] Ben Goertzel on Large Language Models
>

> On Thu, Apr 27, 2023 at 4:59 PM Giovanni Santostasi <gsantostasi at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >>…Gordon,
> Given Goertzel believes that we can reach AGI in a few years would you
> simply concede that when we reach this level of intelligence the AGI would
> be conscious if it behaves like a conscious agent …
>
> >…As for whether any AI will have subjective experience -- what I mean by
> consciousness -- I do doubt that, at least on digital computers as we
> understand them today. I certainly do not believe that GPT-4 or any other
> LLM is conscious.
>
> -gts
>

> Seems we are working back to a question I have posed earlier: are
> consciousness and intelligence separable?  In principle, I don’t see why
> not.

I don't think they're separable. Intelligence requires knowledge of the
environment and "possessing knowledge of the environment (or anything else
for that matter)" is conscious: "con•scious" means "with knowledge."

So intelligence implies consciousness.

But note that consciousness does not imply intelligence, because
intelligence requires the ability to interact with the environment in
accordance with achieving some goal. If someone is locked, or dreaming,
they are conscious but not intelligently interacting with their (at least,
outer) world.

Jason

  ChatGPT is claiming to be not conscious, but it appears to be intelligent.