[ExI] Another ChatGPT session on qualia

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 22:14:02 UTC 2023

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 3:01 PM efc--- via extropy-chat <

> On Wed, 26 Apr 2023, Adrian Tymes via extropy-chat wrote:
> > Through changes in definition, perhaps.  If most people began to speak
> of light at 440 nm wavelength as green instead of red, ChatGPT
> > would reflect this change too.
>
> True, but the idea here is one measure of consciousness. Not a physical
> property that can be measured. Those two cases are different.

Not so different in the relevant aspect: in the scenario you describe, the
change would be through a change in definition.  I pointed out that this is
true even for things with relatively simple physical properties, which are
theoretically even more objective, so it also applies to things without
that.