[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Giovanni Santostasi gsantostasi at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 07:05:41 UTC 2023

* How the heck could a train of spikes produce a redness experience?*But it
does like everything else in our brain. Why a chemical could do that
better? I don't get it. A chemical is just a mean to transmit information.
The air we use to communicate via voice is not the critical thing in
communicating a message. It is just a mean. There is no special
characteristic of air that makes communication more meaningful. If anything
it has many limitations and hindrances but it is what we had available as
we evolved.
The spikes convey information, the experience is information that informs
itself. This is the real miracle of awareness, this self-loop. It is not
mysterious of other things that are, like the repulsion of 2 electrical
charges, how that is done? That is what irritates me about the qualia
fanatics, they think that qualia deserve an explanation that can somehow
produce the experience in others (or it is not even clear what they hope a
suitable explanation looks like) but they never apply this to other
phenomena in the universe. They ask how does it feel to be a bat but not
how does it feel to be an electron. How one feels is not science and it
should not be.

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 11:23 PM Brent Allsop via extropy-chat <