[ExI] Symbol Grounding

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Sat Apr 29 08:35:48 UTC 2023

On 29/04/2023 07:49, Brent Allsop wrote:
> All spike trails or trains, or whatever, begin and end with
> neurotransmitters being dumped into a synapse, right?  Seems to me
> that someone who predicts someone's [experience of red] is more likely
> to be spike trains, than [...] a chemical in a synapse, like Giovani,
> has no ability to understand or model [experiences].  How the heck
> could a train of spikes produce a redness experience?

How the heck could a pixel on a screen produce a picture of a field of
flowers?
How the heck could a digital number produce a word processor document?
How the heck could a single note on an oboe produce a symphony?

If i wanted to show that pixels can't give rise to pictures, numbers
can't give rise to novels, or single notes can't give rise to
symphonies, these are the kind of questions I'd ask, in order to direct
the reader's attention to the wrong thing.

This also applies to molecules of neurotransmitter in a synapse
producing an experience.

A brick doesn't produce a housing estate, a xylem cell doesn't produce a
tree, am I getting my point across yet?

You have a warehouse full of steel girders and you want to build the
eiffel tower. What's the missing essential ingredient? (no, it's not
rivets).

Ben