[ExI] Science

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 22:55:58 UTC 2023

On Sat, Apr 29, 2023 at 12:38 PM spike jones via extropy-chat

> ...> On Behalf Of Keith Henson via extropy-chat
> Subject: [ExI] Science
>
> >...I don't know how many of you read Science, a few probably.  The last two issues have been interesting.  Two weeks ago there was an article on stopping AI research.  This week the lead article was "Panel urges caution in tying social, behavioral traits to genes"  Experts split on whether risks of perpetuating racism mean group comparisons should not be done...Keith
>
> Keith since you and I are from California, we know that public schools are rated based on how effectively they deal with the academic achievement gap between self-identifiers of four different ethnic groups.  The smaller that gap, the higher rated is the school.

I didn't know that.  It's been over 20 years since I had a kid in a
California public school.  Must be an internal rating because it is
not something a parent would consider.

> If everyone would just stop talking about that achievement gap, it would no longer exist (as far as anyone knows) so... problem solved.

An alternative way would be to randomly assign race to the kids.  Or,
if you go back far enough, all the kids could be called African.

> There would no longer be any achievement gap and all public schools would be rated based on... hmmmm...  I don't know... anyone?

In a future where the AIs will outclass the lot of us, it may not matter a bit.

Keith