[ExI] Are transhumanists becoming the bad guys?

Ben Zaiboc ben at zaiboc.net
Fri Dec 1 16:36:34 UTC 2023

On 30/11/2023 17:34, bill w wrote:
> This theme is very popular with scifi writers, as we know.  I would
> not call people who want changes in our bodies and brains a 'tiny'
> part of the population.   bill w

Good point, Bill.

I've noticed this too. although only a tiny proportion of the population
would actually identify themselves as transhumanists, an increasing
number of people appear to hold transhumanist attitudes, expectations
and hopes.

Although, here in Blighty, the transhumanist scene twenty-or-so years
ago pretty much consisted of 'six blokes in a pub' in London, with a few
scattered individuals that we would discover every now and then, and now
there are thousands (mostly younger people, but not exclusively by any
means).

Admittedly, a few thousand is still a tiny proportion of the population,
but it's a hell of a bigger proportion than we had in 1997, when I
discovered there was a name for my own inclinations, and that other
people existed with the same inclinations. That's quite a moment,
discovering that you're not the only one.

Ben