[ExI] pc alternative

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Sat Dec 16 18:10:47 UTC 2023

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat <extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org> On Behalf Of
BillK via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] pc alternative

On Sat, 16 Dec 2023 at 17:28, <spike at rainier66.com> wrote:
> Ja.  I surrender.  I thought I was good with words, but AI is better.  I
suck...

> Bill Joy was right.  The future doesn't need us.
>
> spike

>...Yes, I was a bit shocked when it produced that poetic screed.

>...It says it doesn't know what it is saying and it is only an LLM.
(But it could be lying).

>...An AGI should have no problem persuading a mere human that it knows
best.

BillK

BillK, do let me offer an alternative take.  AI did a terrific job with the
PC Merry Christmas.  But we could do that too, any one of us.  If a prole
were to take the time and effort, go to the local stationer and read the
Christmas cards, read thru the birthday greeting cards, read the sympathy
cards... that prole could write a decent message for any of those occasions,
even though she is really just creating a newly-shuffled version of what is
on those cards.  She could do that even if she doesn't deeply feel the
emotion she is writing about.  So... ChatGPT is really doing that.

A long time ago, a Hollywood movie with Jack Nicholson described a person
like this: one who was talented with words but had no empathy at all.  He
was a writer of romance novels but who hates everything and everybody
(except Carol (he loves Carol (she can't figure out why.)))  It is called As
Good As It Gets.  Jack was playing the human equivalent of AI.

Perhaps this is what makes AI so scary: we can create the software
equivalent of Melvin Udall.