[ExI] [Extropolis] SciAm & Charlie Stross: BS

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Sun Dec 24 23:19:53 UTC 2023

That was a very odd article by Charlie Stross.  The implication is
that the worlds envisioned by SF authors are bad, but there is not a
hint of what might be better.

"They named this ideology TESCREAL, which stands for “transhumanism,
extropianism, singularitarianism, cosmism, rationalism, effective
altruism and longtermism.”

Talk about a list that describes me.  R.U. Sirius described me as the
UR-transhumanist.  Max More and company came up extropy, but it was
certainly compatible with my worldview.  At least the AI part of the
singularity is right now.  Cosmism seems like a Russian version of
transhumanism with other bits.  Rationalism, seems like a better idea
than irrational.  Effective altruism led me to Toby Ord, who along
with Drexler and Sandberg wrote the paper on the Drake equation.
Longtermism seems like a good idea, especially if you are signed up
for cryonics

"TESCREAL is essentially a theological program, one meant to festoon
its high priests with riches."

Somehow I missed out on the riches.  But I can't say anything bad
about a theology that promotes riches.

Keith

Keith