[ExI] AI thoughts

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 29 01:58:16 UTC 2023

"Google's AlphaZero was provided only the rules of chess, but through
self-play quickly discovered and mastered all the common openings that
took humans centuries to discover"

I wonder if this has any real-world significance.

I suspect that all the knowledge possible will not result in FTL or
time travel.  If what we see at Tabby's star is alien megastructures,
then they don't seem to have found a way around orbital mechanics or
thermodynamics of radiating the waste heat from computation.

It would be interesting for a group of engineers to reverse what we
can see and determine if the distance to their star is optimized for
computation and the physical limits of materials.  I have not worked
it out, but the size of the object, even as far out as 7 AU is going
to cause some compression stress because the edges are above and below
the orbital plane.  There are dynamic ways to counter this if they are
needed.

Keith

On Tue, Dec 26, 2023 at 9:02 PM Jason Resch via extropy-chat