[ExI] bond villain?

spike at rainier66.com spike at rainier66.com
Wed Feb 1 15:32:41 UTC 2023

…> On Behalf Of Will Steinberg via extropy-chat
Subject: Re: [ExI] bond villain?

>…So yeah both sides of mainstream news is dumb…

I gave up mainstream news some time ago because of that: there are more than two sides.

It wouldn’t have helped anyway, for they didn’t cover the story.  It would be advertising for their competitor who just got a big scoop on them.  It is all over Twitter, which is a news agency in a sense but is unique in that it doesn’t have a political party.  It isn’t either of the sides.  It is all of them simultaneously.

Furthermore, Twitter will be the last news agency standing, for it has a more credible business model: user supplied content, no anchors to pay big salaries, no editors to decide which stories to promote (the readers do that.)

>… COVID was a lab leak…

I have suspected that for a long time.  When I first heard of it in about March of 2020, it sounded plausible.  That was back in the days when anyone who posted the notion on Twitter would be banned there.  But not here.

A still more disturbing thought occurred to me.  Doing serial passage with bats in the basement can create variants that can be either more contagious or less, and can be more deadly or less.  Since it is based on random mutation, it can go anywhere.

The disturbing thought is that it is easier to guide it toward more lethal than toward less lethal.  It wouldn’t even require filters necessarily.

Evil prole goes and catches covid intentionally.  Injects a cc of her blood into a hundred bats.  Some die.  She takes the dead ones, uses them to infect the survivors, using the dead bats’ blood but without concentrating the virus.  Centrifuge the samples, hypodermic needle in there, take out a sample, re-infect survivors.  Repeat daily.  Eventually a more lethal strain of covid evolves.

That doesn’t require any special knowledge in biology.  I am not a biologist.  It doesn’t require any special equipment, other than a lab centrifuge, and syringes that the government gives away free to stoners.

Conclusion: anyone can create a covid strain.